Aiding Japan: 1UP Auctioning Rare Videogame Items
Update 3/29/11: Earforce PX5 bundles, Stacking dolls auctions added.
We’ve highlighted a number of ways for gamers to support Japan since the devastating earthquake and tsunami hit the country just over a week ago. 1UP and many others in the industry are now supporting Play For Japan, a videogame industry initiative to raise money for the ongoing relief efforts.
Auctions are being conducted through eBay for a variety of rare videogame items, with all proceeds going to charity. We’ve posted three of our own items today:
- Stacking Russian Nesting Dolls – One of the first 100 made, signed by Double Fine founder Tim Schafer, Stacking lead Lee Petty, and concept artist Levi Ryken. Auction link
- 2 Turtle Beach Earforce PX5 Wireless Headset Bundles – Includes a Turtle Beach shirt and hat. Auction 1 link / Auction 2 link
We’ll be posting much more as the week goes on, and we’ll be keeping this story updated with all of our auctions. The official Play For Japan website is also keeping track of many of the auctions taking place, so you’ll also want to keep an eye on that for a more complete look at the auctions you can bid on to help the country that has contributed so much to the videogame industry.
- Katamari Damacy for PlayStation 2 – Signed and doodled on by lead developer Keita Takahashi. Auction link – $305
- Soul Calibur IV for PlayStation 3 – Signed by series director Katsutoshi Sasaki. Auction link – $122.50
- Sam & Max statue and poster – Poster signed by Sam & Max creator Steve Purcell; out-of-production statue signed by Telltale creators Dave Grossman, Mike Stemmle, and Andy Hartzell, among others. Auction link – $610
- Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 – Hardened Edition for Xbox 360 – Signed for our own Tina Sanchez by the entire Infinity Ward studio prior to the departures of studio heads Jason West and Vince Zampella. Auction link – $710
- Metal Gear Solid 2 for PlayStation 2 – Signed by director Hideo Kojima. Auction link – $340